Monday, December 28

day one hundred ten: as long as theres breath

im flying home to chicago tomorrow. i cant believe it. now that its time, i think im ready. this time spent in kenya has been great for processing, winding down, and just enjoying people. i am in a state of rest, ive accomplished all that i can, ive done my best, and i am completely satisfied. i know that what i have done here is not done by me, but is the work of God. and in that knowledge, i have comfort and strength.

i spent a few days at the coast, in mumbassa. i had planned on taking the trip just by myself, and using the time to reflect on all that has happened, really process through my time in africa, etc. i didnt have contacts there, i wasnt meeting anyone, and i was traveling alone. i didnt know where i would stay, what i would do, i didnt know anything. it was totally in God's hands- sort of a compressed, intensified version of what ive wanted for this whole time in africa- complete reliance on God.

it was incredible seeing God's provision for me, straight away off the bus. i arrived at 5:30 in the morning, and this guy came up and just started talking to me, asking me if i needed help, if he could show me around, whatever i needed. he was extremely nice, and helped me get my barrings. after that, it was one connection after another. i just kept running into people, getting into conversations, sharing a bit of my life, a bit of theirs. i had some time to just sit at the beach by myself and think about how great God is. and when i was exhausted and needed a place to rest, this girl came up to me and offered that i stay at her place with her and her two brothers. it was unheard of- they fed me, they let me rest at their house, they showed Christs love to me, a perfect stranger. finally, i got a phone call from a friend of a friend of a friend who heard i was in mumbassa and was wondering if i needed a place to sleep. so God even took care of my lodging. it was incredible, and i was left in awe of His provision, how He cares for each little detail. pretty humbling.

next i went to machakos. we have a project there, another childrens home. this one was recognized as one of the best in kenya. it was really cool spending time there, talking to the director, getting ideas of how the JCM project will run after it is finished. i loved being there, just playing with the kids, loving on them, serving in the kitchen, really however i could help. i learned to make chapati(best food ever), so ill for sure be trying that out when i get home. i stayed with a couple, professors from the local seminary there. that was such a blessing in itself, just being around them, dialoguing with them, sharing ideas and dreams. they are such people of God. when you spend time around people like that, no matter what you do during that time, you come away blessed. really just wonderful.

i got some great news on christmas regarding dennis. apparently ronnie found him on the streets a couple days before, and was able to take him down to the home in jinja! that was such an amazing feeling, knowing that he is safe and off the streets, that he has a place to belong, to call home. knowing that i can see him when he comes back! that he is gonna go to school and sleep in a bed at night! ah, it was so wonderful! when i heard that, i had such a sense of joy flood my heart. what an amazing christmas gift!

so now im back in nairobe after travelling around kenya. like i said, i fly tomorrow, and ive been using these last days trying to see everyone that has touched my life and say goodbye. its hard to think that ill be leaving, that after tomorrow night, i wont be seeing this place for a while. its my sincere hope to come back in may. irene will be returning then, and we are going to try and put together a team to come and finish the kids home. what an incredible day that will be!

these people, these relationships that i have made, they call me back. they always will. already i hear their voice. i will never be free of this place, it will haunt my thoughts and my heart as long as i have breath. i will hear their calling, and turn my eyes to where it comes. someday i will return. i wont forget you, street children, orphans, those abused and neglected. i wont forget you, family, friends, loved ones. i will return to tread your red soil beneath my feet once more. keep yourselves well until again we meet.

all my love

2 comments:

  1. i am just but a stranger... God bless you for the good work! you inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord, Jon! your trust in God to lead you and provide for you is awesome.

    ReplyDelete